Visit the Community Forum to learn more and ask any questions you have!

Custom domains help

Back to Thread List

Hey everyone, I'm on the Pro tier, and I'm trying to set up a custom domain for my app. I followed the instructions to add my domain to the ALLOWED_HOSTS list and created the DNS A records. But I'm still a bit confused about the leading dot in front of the domain in ALLOWED_HOSTS.

Is the dot really necessary? What happens if I don't include it? Also, does anyone have experience with specific issues when using registrars like GoDaddy? I saw something about a "parked" entry that might interfere with the certificate process, and I'm not sure what that means. Any tips would be appreciated!

by safienz on Aug. 10, 2024, 11:54 a.m.

Replies

• Hi safienz, the leading dot is necessary so that when we generate a certificate, it's valid for both your root domain and the "www" prefixed version of it. This also tells Django to allow requests for the root domain and the "www" version.

As for parked domains, registrars like GoDaddy and Squarespace sometimes add default entries to DNS that point to their own website builder.

This can be an issue when generating the certificate because DNS lookups will point to the GoDaddy servers, for instance, instead of Circumeo. The solution is to delete these default DNS entries.

by zach on Aug. 10, 2024, 12:12 p.m.
Reply to this thread